I spent the first seven months after my divorce waiting for the next man to appear. I tried forcing it, I tried flirting my ass off, I tried the dating apps, I even went on a couple dates, but nothing was working. Nothing was clicking. No spark was happening. There were a couple of dark days in there, where I just really wanted to get on with my next “real life”.
Until about a month ago, when I had a Oprah style A-Ha moment. I realized I was looking at this whole thing the wrong way! I was missing a HUGE piece of the puzzle. Instead of focusing on being alone, I was going to focus on being free. That was a total game changer. I suddenly began getting really excited….about being single! I haven’t spent more than a few months single since, oh….since I was about 15. That was 1986, y’all. That’s a long time of couple-dom.
Now I had this whole new world opening up to me and it was within just about an hour of having that epiphany that I came up with the mantra of Single & Selfish, and before the day was through, I had my first blog post up, I had snagged the Twitter handle @SingleanSelfish and had an email address set up, and can I ask why Twitter won’t let the “&” sign be part of your handle? That’s just silly and put a hitch in my giddiup for a minute, but I moved passed it.
Since starting the blog and trying to be active on Twitter, I have gained a few followers, had a few retweets and started to document some really great things about being #Single. This is a much more expanded list than what I have posted on Twitter, but once you get the writing juices flowing….
Some of the best things about being single are:
- No one hogs the covers
- I get to decide what’s on TV
- I decide where my money goes
- I can wake up and spend an hour playing games on my devices & drinking coffee alone before my work day starts
- I don’t have to be nice to anyone before my first cup-o-joe
- I don’t have to brush my teeth if I don’t want to
- I can bring a six-pack home and it will last a week. I don’t have to share it with anyone
- I don’t have to cook dinner if I don’t want to
- I can have my friends over for wine and gossip whenever I want
- I don’t ever have to pretend to like his friends wives ever again
- The dog saves all his snuggles for me
- I can fall down the YouTube random video rabbit hole and no one judges me for it
- No more skid marks in the laundry
- I can go away for a fun weekend with the girls without checking with anyone (except the person who is going to care for my dog)
- Clothes make it in the hamper
- My apartment stays clean
- I always know how much gas is in my car at all times
- I can go for weeks without a razor touching my legs
- No more gross, stinky farts & giggles…unless they are mine or the dogs
- I can make my home-made Ramen as spicy as I want
- I don’t have to “Just Say Hi” to his Mom, sister, aunt, grandma or idiot brother on the phone
- NO COMPROMISES EVER
- It’s always my favorite music
- I don’t have to explain what a PodCast is or why I love them
- My apartment is a NO FOOTBALL zone
How’s that for a list of fun stuff about being single? I don’t even want to think about dating now, for fear I might meet someone great who is going to screw up my love affair with being single! I can’t have that kind of stress in my life. It’s all about the selfish, baby! And I refuse to apologize to anyone.
Oh yeah, one more
- I don’t have to apologize to anyone about anything ever again if I don’t want to