We are in store for a major hurricane. Earlier today it was projected to make landfall a good bit south of us, but as the day progressed, it continued to inch closer and closer to our little spot on the map. As of this moment when I’m writing this, its projected to make land fall and have a major impact on our community.
Tonight right around dinner time, the local emergency agencies issued a mandatory evacuation for my city. Mandatory. That means like for real. The only problem is I don’t have anywhere to go, and I have several fur-babies to consider. Add to that, my parents are staying, my sister and her family are staying, my neighbors are all staying in my wing of our apartment complex and like I said, I don’t have anywhere to go outside of the storm’s path.
So we will hunker down. We have about 18-24 hours before the real action starts with the wind, and the rain, and the flooding, and the tornado risks. So we will watch, wait, and we will pray. The roads out of this part of Texas are going to be at a stand-still. It’s taking hours to get anywhere, and we still have a while before the storm hits and so much can change between now and then.
In my desire to sleep better I renewed my library card and checked out a stack of books by my favorite author, Sarah Addison-Allen. I suppose for the time that we have power, I will be reading these books, trying to keep perishable food cold and keeping my dogs calm. My hope and prayer is that in the morning we wake up to news that the storm has made a change in trajectory.
As it is, the local Office of Emergency Management has warned we may get as much as 35 inches of rain in 48 hours. That is going to devastate parts of the city and surrounding communities. We may be without power for days. This may be the last blog you see for a good bit depending on how the storm turns out.
I’m scared. I’ve never dealt with anything like this alone before. I mean, I know I’m not alone. I have my family and my work family is always there if I need anything – sometimes I don’t even have to ask, they anticipate where there might be a need and they offer it. That’s just the way we are with one another. That doesn’t change the fact that making this decision to leave or go is squarely on my shoulders. This could go badly and it would be my fault.
On the other hand, it could be like it often is in my neck of the woods and be not nearly as bad as everyone thinks it’s going to be. It could just be another blip on the fear-dometer and we could all be laughing about this next week.
Or we might be facing torrential flooding and devastation like we’ve never seen. Who’s to say? Who can ever say for sure?
Can I ask you a favor? Will you pray for us? Will you ask for God’s protection over me, my family, my community, our first responders and the surrounding area? If you don’t pray, will you at least send some shiny, bright energy and light our way so that possibly we can feel it and know it will be okay?
Can I ask you to share this blog too? Not to get readers, not to get followers, but to get prayer. Prayers, loving energy and light, healing and protection. Can I ask you to do that?
I thank you in advance. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this scared. A long time since I’ve felt so ill-equipped and vulnerable.
We’re in for the long haul now. The decision has been made and we are staying. Now we just have to make sure we all make it through this thing. Together.