Am I the only one who hears ‘N Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye” when I read the title of this blog post? Is it just me?
It’s the end of 2017. As I write this, it’s the day before New Years Eve. I know I’m not alone in wishing 2017 a hasty exit and a cheery “don’t let the door hit ya where The Good Lord split ya!” as it leaves. This year has been a bumpy ride for a lot of us and I know for me at least, I’m looking forward to the experiences and opportunities that 2018 has in store.
Social Media is good for a lot of things, but one of the things it does really well is show us our year in review through videos, pictures, memories and I have gotten several auto-populated compilations from my various social media platforms that show me some of the highlights from the past 12 months. A lot of us get to the end of the year and wonder where the time went? Well, Facebook and Snapchat are right there to help remind you.
As I was enjoying the video and photo snippets that I was presented for my sharing pleasure yesterday, I really did take a stroll down memory lane of the past year. Whoa, Nelly what a year it’s been.
The memory blast also reminded me how I’ve grown and developed as a woman, a human, and an adult. It made me think of the butterfly in the inserted photo I took a few weekends ago at a nature preserve with my sister. Butterflies go through a metamorphosis, we all know that – they cocoon, change, grow, and emerge as a completely different thing. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Some of the things I’ve discovered (or rediscovered) about myself this year:
- I am pretty good budgeting and planning
- I am a minimalist at heart
- I have a pretty amazing & supportive family
- I have best friends who have my back when shit goes down
- I rediscovered my love for photography
- I love writing even more than I thought
- I am smarter than I ever gave myself credit for
- When we put good things out, more often than not, good things come back
- I don’t have to be afraid of change
- Courage doesn’t mean I’m not afraid, it just means I won’t let the fear stop me
- Once I make my mind up – you might as well just get out of my way
- Forgiving those who have hurt me is more for myself than for them
- Just because I forgive, doesn’t mean I will forget
- self-care is more than just a hot bath and quiet time
- I will have my own back….every…damn…day.
So cheers to the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018. I have high hopes for this next year and I am excited to see what it has in store for us. I hope we can ride into this next year together.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to those who regularly read this blog. Single and Selfish has been a beautiful outlet for me and it feels amazing when you reach out to me and tell me a post has resonated with you or has inspired you. Keep sharing your thoughts and experiences with me.
This year has been the single most active year for personal growth I’ve ever had in my lifetime. It was beautiful and scary, exciting and fun. I’ve had more new experiences this year and said more Yes’s than No’s to adventure and opportunity. I plan to continue that in 2018.
This New Years Eve I won’t be going out, I probably won’t even try to stay awake until midnight, but one thing I will for sure do is put pen to paper and write a list of things I’d like to see come to fruition in 2018. They won’t be “Resolutions” – to me, resolutions are negative and just sets us up to fail. This is more goal-setting and once my list is made, I will seal it in an envelope and won’t open it until next New Years Eve.
If you are going out for New Years Eve, please be safe. Have fun, but take care of yourself and your loved ones. Take a moment to breathe and be thankful and grateful for what you have and get home safely.
Happy New Year, everyone!